Thursday, September 24, 2009

My new addiction...

My name is Toni, and I am a Korean drama-aholic. I have discovered www.mysoju.com, where one can find Korean dramas with English subtitles. I love it. I am currently into Queen Seon Duk (this one is showing in Korea now, so I have to wait for two new episodes each week). I also enjoyed Boys Before Flowers and I am working my way through You are My Destiny - I think this one is a Soap Opera, and I usually don't like soaps, but this is funny. While I enjoy them, I remind myself not to judge the culture from them - imagine if people judged Americans after watching Married with Children or Days of Our Lives. It is interesting to listen and get the language in my ear. I can sometimes pick out words I know, and I've learned a few new ones, some of which I can't put into print and don't want the children to know. The most interesting part is the respect/class piece. How people speak/bow/interact with those they see as inferior or better than themselves. I'm sure this is exaggerated somewhat on a show, but I think it is part of the culture.

Queen Seon Duk is historical. The costumes are amazing. I have looked up information on it and the historical accuracy isn't authentic, but the story is good.

4 comments:

  1. My husband and I are right there with you. We're actually sad that the fall TV lineup has started because it's cut into our Korean drama time.

    We've watched four dramas so far, I think, and our favorite has been Be Strong, Geum-Soon. (It's a young widow and really highlights attitudes that lead birthmothers to place their children for adoption.) It's very long (163 half-hour episodes) but so worth the investment.

    We also enjoyed My Lovely Sam-Soon, Star of My Heart, and My Girl.

    I don't know where you live but you might check your local library. Our library has DVDs of the dramas. And Netflix has a large selection as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can register (or I can send you an invite) to DramaFever.com These are high quality streaming Korean Dramas. They have an excellent array from KBS and are getting SBS dramas soon as well. Reccomended: Attic Cat, I Love You, Thank You, etc. GREAT Dramas.

    Also, if you are learning Korean, dramas are a GREAT way to improve comprehension and accent. My Korean became much better after discovering them!

    Eun Joo
    mishabellerock@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love the invite to DramaFever...sounds great. My husband watches sports, I sit in the other room with the computer watching dramas. :-) I have learned some Korean. I want to know what the sound/word is that sounds like someone coughing up a hair ball. lol Aigoo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll definetly send you a link, I just need your email address (I didn't see it here on the blog, but I might have missed it.) You can email it to me at my own email (mishabellerock@gmail.com) if you want to keep it private. When you get your invite, you should watch Shining Inheritance. It's my current drama and I LOVE it. : )

    Eun Joo
    mishabellerock@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete