Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Dream...

I have come up with an idea that sounds a bit out there, but I think I shall pursue it. I am thinking of going to Busan next summer and living there for a month or so. We have friends whose parents have 2 apartments in Busan. We stayed with them when we were there in April. If they would let us rent their extra apartment for the time we want to be there, we could actually live in Korea and let the kids experience life in Korea. I am including another A-mom and her children in my dream too. We are thinking of trying to find a private Korean school who might let the kids attend for part of the day during that month (Korean school aren't out until late July). In exchange I would be happy to volunteer with their English classes. We could also hire a Korean tutor during that time. Busan is about an hour by bus from my son's Halmoni, so we could see her and his brother on weekends. My kids love the idea. I would think we could improve our Korean dramatically while we were there.
Ahhh... dreaming....

1 comment:

  1. Hi. I wanted to say that it is wonderful that you and your husband want your children to know of their homeland and culture. It is great for two reasons: that they will grow up more secure ( even if they might know this yet) and that you are doing this as a family not just 'for their sakes'. Sometimes, when families have their children learn about their past without themselves taking part in the process it makes the child feel more different or even reject what is a big part of them. I am not adopting but am an adoptee from Korea. I was raised very differently and am always so thrilled to come across parents like yourselves! Also, I too agree on keeping their names..espcially if they were older adoptees like myself. I was about 7 years old with memories and a past. When I came, I got a new name and a new life. As I grew up, Korea was not a subject much discussed or cherished in my home. It was a decision my parents had made like many others who adopt. Today, I use my korean name with some friends and here as well. I would never change it back now since I have lived with my american name for majority of my life..they are both a very big part of what makes me who I am. Keep writing and good luck in your journey!

    ReplyDelete