Thursday, August 13, 2009

My first blog...

My first blog... where to start? As the mother of two children adopted from Korea I find myself reflecting on the beginning of our journey. It started online - I found adoption agency information online and joined a member board on AOL for people starting the adoption process. The women on that board became my support group along that part of the journey. As my children have gotten older (now 9 & 11), I find that the support groups and "culture" days friends have fallen out of touch. We are all so busy with our lives and that of our children. Their "Korean-ness" is only one part of them (albeit a LARGE part). We have taekwondo, dance, instruments, homework, etc. to take up our time now. But I am finding the need for support and information is greater than ever.

This past April we went to Korea for the first time. It was life changing. I wrote about that, and will post that in a separate blog, along with some pictures of our trip. It has only refueled my desire to do more for my children, to help them be Korean.

So, it is my hope that by getting my thoughts out here, I might find other parents like my husband and I. Parents who fully embrace their children's "Korean-ness", who are striving to find ways to help their children incorporate it into their view of themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment